Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Post #8 Form B

‘“My little cousin, I have heard stories of you,” she said, pronouncing each word carefully. Her lips were two petals of red grenadine. “I shall take care of your instruction, my little, wild one.”’ (52) This is the beginning of a very very very very bad relationship for Heavenlight. She falls in love with her cousin, the Gracious Wife. “In fact my longing to see her again supplanted every other agony. Freed from the anguish of mourning, I was now enslaved by a new torment. I did not know this was the being of love: Taut as an archer’s bow, my soul distended with expectation, my desire tightly coiled, my stomach tensed.”(54) So, she falls in love with her. She thinks about her constantly and is anguished to be apart from her. Finally, she meets the Gracious Wife again. They sleep together. Yes, the intimate kind of sleeping together. They sleep together, the Gracious Wife beats her. They sleep together, the Gracious Wife beats her. The Gracious Wife even makes her sleep with other girls. “She forced strangers on me, girls I did not desire. In that accumulation of mouths and breasts, above the mirror that multiplied the gaping orifices further, she would beat me until I bled. The other women would fondle on another as they watched me. They were naked, with their heads between on another’s thighs, their bodies writhing in the blaze of sunlight, shrieking with pleasure; and I felt only loathing.” (62) Like I said, a very very very very bad relationship for Heavenlight.
(Do you pity me yet for having to read this Ms. Burgess?)

No comments: