Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Post #1 Form A

Vocab
Gestapo (19): the German state secret police during the Nazi regime, organized in 1933 and notorious for its brutal methods and operations.
Posse (19): a body or force armed with legal authority.
Figurative Language
"Ten the flames leaped up, reaching my face." (p. 9)
This is an example of personification. The author is personifying the flames by saying they leaped, which is not something flames can actually do.
"Burns need to breathe" (p. 13)
This is an example of personification. The author is personifying the burns by saying they need to breathe, which is not something burns can actually do.
I found the quote "You don't hae to worry anymore, baby," dad said. "You're safe now." (p 14) to be ironic because he says this just after taking her out of the hospital which she was in because of her parent's neglect.
Quote
One of them squeezed my hand and told me I was going to be okay.
"I know," I said, "but if I'm not, that's okay, too." (p. 10)
This is significant to the story because it shows just how mature Jeannette was even at the age of three. Despite being in a very scary situation she was calm and logical.
Theme
Don't let your fears get the best of you, rather, let you get the best of your fears.
(Jeannette starts playing with fire despite having just returned from the hospital after being severely burned.)

No comments: