Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Post #6 Form B

“I want that one,” I said.
Dad grinned. “That’s Venus,” he said. Venus was only a planet, he went on, and pretty dinky compared to real stars. She looked bigger and brighter because she was much closer than the stars. Poor old Venus didn’t even make her own light, Dad said. She shone only from reflected light. He explained to me that planets glowed because reflected light was constant, and stars twinkled because their light pulsed.
“I like it anyway,” I said. I had admired Venus even before that Christmas. You could see it in the early evening, glowing on the western horizon, and if you got up early, you could still see it in the morning, after all the stars had disappeared.
”What the hell,” Dad said. “It’s Christmas. You can have a planet if you want.”
Then he gave me Venus.’ (40)
Despite the many poor qualities Jeannette’s parents display, it is clear that they truly love their children. Despite their lives being harsh and variable, her parents do their best to make their kids feel special and to look out for them. Whether it’s making them conquer their fears or giving them planets and stars on Christmas because they can’t afford real presents, her parents are always finding creative ways to display their love for their children and care for them to the best of their ability. I think it’s really neat how creative and insightful Jeannette’s parents are. Though the actions they sometimes display aren’t necessarily what one might consider appropriate for a parent trying to be a good role model, they never allow their children to feel unequal to others. That’s really good of them and I admire them for it.

No comments: